Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Closet Organization Tips


Today we are taking a peek into our master bedroom closet!

As far as walk-in closets, ours is not huge and rather skinny.


Our closet is organized first by type and then by color. Everything faces the same way for a uniform look.

Notice the color organization? :)

So here are some organization tips on how how I make this closet work for us!

1) The one in, one out rule.
You have probably heard this one before --when you buy something new you should get rid of something else. I might not follow this every single time, but I do clean out often. Like monthly often. And I recommend doing a big clean out a few times a year where you take EVERYTHING out of your closet and start from scratch. 

2) If you don't wear it or don't love it, donate it!
I know, this one is hard. You might really like something, but you haven't worn it in a year. Or maybe you just don't like how something fits. Regardless of what you paid for it or if it was a gift, it needs to go! I struggle with this because of my dress clothes. In my old job I needed them everyday, but with my current job I have uniform so I don't wear them.

3) Tiered Skirt Hangers


These hangers are a-mazing! I bought them in college when I had a much smaller closet and really needed to save space. They hold 6 skirts a piece and are really, truly, a space saver. These just came from Wal-Mart!  I am considering buying some more for Justin's shorts!

4) Tiered Pants Hangers


 Same idea as the skirt hangers, except for pants! These were also a purchase in collage from Bed Bath and Beyond. I could use some more for my work pants! 

5) Skinny hangers.
For your shirts, forget the bulky, plastic hangers. I opt for skinny hangers to save space.

6) Shoe Racks.


In our closet we have 3 shoe racks. I have 2 and my hubby has 1. They keep our shoes organized and we can see exactly what we have. I promise they will hold more shoes then they say on the box!

7) Use the space behind the door.
There are lots of different ways you can use the space behind your door but we chose to put up some hooks. We use them for belts and my purses.


8) Tie Holder
Invest in some sort of tie holder. I bought this one at a yard sale for 25 cents. 


So there you go, 8 tips to help you organize your closet! 

I am linking up at Goodbye House Hello Home November Linky Party! Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment