Tuesday, January 7, 2014

my one word 2014: content

Brrr! It is freezing outside! The windchill is below zero and we are snuggled under blankets inside! School was canceled today so we are down to a 3 day week!


 Last night was make-your-own-paninni with our new paninni grill Justin got for Christmas! Yum!


And today, all you need is warm socks and tea!

2014 has been with us for a whole week now and I am ready to share My One Word Resolution for 2014. 


In 2013 my word was grateful. I see 2014 as an extension, or next step, on my journey to living a more grateful life. Focusing on the word content will be just that- a chance to be truly joyful and thankful for any and all situations. 

Last week I opened an email from YouVersion, the Bible App, asking me to choose a verse for 2014. It was really one of those moments when you sense God speaking to you. The challenge is to choose a verse to reflect and focus on the entire year and to place it in visible place that you will see it often. So of course, I decided my word for 2014 and my verse for 2014 should go together! And, wha-la, we have Philippians 
4:12-13. 

I already know that 2014 is going to be a year of big changes and transitions. My hubby graduates in May so he will be taking his first appointment as a pastor and we will be moving to some currently unknown destination. That means I will be starting over again with my job, and truth be told, my experiences in the last few months have left me wondering what career I even want to be in. There is a lot I could be/am sometimes anxious about! 



I will be seeking contentment in several ways:
  • Content with my life. I don't want to compare myself to others and what they seem to have. This actually something I have really struggled with in last year or so. Whether I am having a crazy, exotic vacation or just watching a movie at home with the hubby, I want to cherish those moments and find joy in them. It is important to seek God's will in my life and to accept that will as well.
  • Content with myself. I want to continue my progress with healthy eating and working out at the gym. I also want to grow in my role as a wife and homemaker. At the same time it is important to be forgiving of myself when I have a rough day or fail. 
  • Content with less. One of my big goals this year is to improve our finances and for us to live with less. Our finances are not in bad shape, but the money we are saving could be working better for us. Dave Ramsey is going to be my friend!
  • Content in God's word. I just plain don't spend enough time immersing myself in God's word. I manage to do it for a few days, but then something always gets in the way. But I know that in order really grow spiritually I must be seeking God and His voice. I am also planning on intentionally writing down things I am grateful for and praying about each day again.
Of course, I have thought about a few other words to describe my hopes for 2014!
  • Blessed- sometimes, that comes in extraordinary, unplanned ways that don't always seem so wonderful at the time.
  • Adventure - the hubby and I are planning a trip to either Chicago or Lake Tahoe!
  • Capturing moments- working on those photography skills!
  • Open- to new experiences, people, and places. Seeking God's will for the next steps.
  • Unconditional- loving my husband even better and unconditionally. Not expecting perfection. Giving of myself selflessly to others. 

Wishing you many many blessings in 2014!

I am linking up at: Diva's With A Purpose and Corie Clark Beautifully Awake !

No comments:

Post a Comment