Wednesday, August 13, 2014

my [possible] wedding do-overs: part 1

About two weeks ago for Wedding Wednesday I shared with you my Wedding Do-All-Over-Agains, the things I would positively choose to do again! That post, and this one, were inspired by a post on Avoiding Aprophy. However, this week, I am basically sharing the wedding I have planned on my secret Pinterest board! (Haha!) In all seriousness, there are a few things I might have possibly done differently!

1) Colors- maybe!

Don't get me wrong, I really did love the vibrant fushia and orange colors that we chose for our wedding. However, if you have read my post on Lessons Learned from My Wedding, then you know that we struggled to find and coordinate those exact shades! Even then I had considered changing my colors to coral-my how I love coral! And I also love the light peach/pink/blush color with the tan tuxes! And what about gray? I love gray! So many choices .. it is probably a good thing my wedding has come and gone because I am not sure how I would decide now!


2) Two words: Burlap and lace!

I had a rustic wedding and didn't use either of these! Gasp! (Well, my dress was lace!) I hadn't yet discovered the joy that is burlap and lace. There are so many inexpensive ways that you can use both.

We didn't want to cover up the beautiful wood tables at our reception with a table cloth, so a burlap table runner would have perfect to add a little something. 


Lace wrapped around the mason jars we used as part of our centerpieces and other decorations would have been a beautiful touch as well!


And here are a few more ideas of how lace and burlap could have been used .. chair sashes and on the cake! I just love that cake!


3) Instagram

I'm not totally sure when Instagram became widely popular, but it wasn't June of 2011. I had never even heard of it! It is by far my favorite form of social media and I would have loved to have a wedding hashtag! (And a cute little sign announcing it!)


4) Bouquets  and Boutonnieres

The bouquets and boutonniere were honestly a part of our wedding I wasn't totally thrilled with. They didn't really look like the picture in my head or the the pictures I had given as examples. (click here to see some photos) Our bouquets turned out a little more wildflower like than I had envisioned with too much greenery. And Justin's boutonniere was dipped in orange so that his could be different, but if I had seen them before the wedding I would have asked someone to switch with him! I would still want to use Gerber daisies as the main flower, but these other ideas are beautiful as well!


Also, I would have loved to have had my bouquet wrapped in burlap, lace, twine, or some combination of the 3. The boutonnieres, like above, would have been great wrapped in twine as well!

5) Smores/Candy/Desert/Ice Cream Sundae Bar

I just love the idea of having something a little extra to offer your guests at your reception! We (sort of) had a ice cream sundae bar, however, our reception location didn't include this in what they would provide and set up. Sadly, it didn't really work out. It was simply set out on a table and not presented in a nice fashion. This is probably my biggest regret and goes back to the advice I gave about carefully thinking about your reception.

But look how fun! So many choices! I would definitely want a burlap banner!


7) A Willow Tree cake topper

The flowers on top of our cake were beautiful, but if I had come across the idea to use a Willow Tree figurine for a cake topper, I would have chosen that! I love Willow Tree and it is the closest I come to collecting something!


And at the mention of cakes .. we had talked about sitting it on a round wooden disc like the one in the picture, but we couldn't find the right size. I wish I had tried harder to make it work!

Next week - part 2!

Now before you think that I didn't enjoy my wedding, I did! I promise I did! And the most important choice that day was by far the guy I choose to spend the rest of my life with! Check out more about our wedding by clicking here!

I'm linking up today with Little Bit of Class, Little Bit of Sass and Belle in Boots for Wedding Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. I really wanted to have a wedding hashtag but I couldn't come with anything creative and then I just ran out of time. If I did my wedding over, I would definitely add this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those pictures are a dream for any woman who want a rustic wedding! so gorgeous! i had my wedding two years ago. i so agree that burlap and lace are a must have! I used burlap for each flower arrangement at my ceremony and lace for my mason blue jars at the reception.thanks for sharing. Priscila. Unfadingbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I saw this beautiful cake topper that is a lot of fun but have been thinking about a Willow Tree cake topper. They are just so beautiful. I am having a rustic wedding and these are so amazing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! We did some of these things (we just got married in June), and my brother in law is getting married in October and TOTALLY running with burlap and lace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I feel you. There are things I would change, like colors and flowers, but at the end of the day, everything worked out and it was perfect because I married Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently planning my wedding right now and the colors are seafoam and gold. It has been so hard to coordinate with seafoam so I am totally with you on possibly re-doing my colors!

    Justine
    www.lifeasabaltimoregirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend starting at David's Bridal or another bridal store picking out the colors of dresses and work your colors to coordinate around that! I thought I might never have bridesmaid dresses .. a family friend ended up making them!

      Delete