Wednesday, July 23, 2014

lessons learned from my wedding - part 2

Hi friends!

It's Wednesday and I am linking up with Little Bit of Class, Little of Sass and Love Nancy J for Wedding Wednesday!


A few weeks ago I brought you some of the top lessons I learned from planning and living through my own wedding. I'm back again with 5 more lessons and advice for brides-to-be!

1) Wedding dress shopping isn't like you see on TLC.



After the staff was done telling me "I didn't look old enough to be getting married" (seriously, everywhere we went), they sent me on my way and said to find them when I was ready to try something on. I had kind of expected a little bit more helpful customer service, but the whole consultant experience is pretty much reserved for stores like Kleinfield and Bridals by Lori (and that could just be for TV). Not that I didn't enjoy the experience, it was just different than I expected. With my family, we chose different dresses and added our own shoes, jewelry and veil. There was only one place that I went that put me in these huge high heel shoes up on a stand and pulled the curtains back for a big reveal. It did make you feel quite special, but that dress wasn't for me. I also learned that at most places the dresses are not actually made to order. I chose a size and then had alterations once it arrived. (I am speaking solely from my experience. If you are going up in price range, then your experience may be very different.)

Regardless, my dress was beautiful. It was everything I didn't know I wanted ... funny how that happens!

2) Think very carefully about your reception.



Seriously, think through each detail. Will your guests begin eating before you arrive? What will they do while they wait? Will you have a DJ or a someone running a playlist? What order will everything unfold in and at what time? How will you do your first dance? And of course, all of this information must be communicated to the staff and/or your wedding coordinator because you will be very busy!

I have been to too many weddings where we waited and waited and waited for food, for cake, to be able to sit down at the tables. Try to keep your reception location close so you're not driving far. At the 4 hour mark of the longest wedding I've ever been to we still hadn't had dinner!

3) You probably will not get to sit down and eat.


Speaking of receptions, I didn't even really know what food we had at ours because we didn't get to sit down and eat. There was simply too much going on. Someone got us a few grapes and something to drink. Of course, some couples specifically arrange things so that they can eat, and I only wish I had thought to do so! Regardless of whether you eat or not, you're probably going to be starving when its all over with anyway, so take a gift card and treat yourselves. We enjoyed Olive Garden, which has become a tradition on our anniversary.

4) Remember: SMILE SMILE SMILE. 


I remembered to smile when walking down the aisle, but I am making some less desirable facial expressions during the actual ceremony. Nothing terrible, but oh how I wish it had been a smile! I didn't really even smile when it came time to give away the bride and I don't know why. There are cameras and people's eyes on you all day long, so remind your hubby-to-be as well, and smile! (Justin smiled throughout the ceremony but apparently forgot when I was walking down the aisle? Instead, he looks concerned about something!)

5) The glow? It's a real thing.


No matter what happens (or doesn't happen!) at the end of the day you will be married to your best friend! A good bridal party and event staff will take care of you on your wedding day and you will not have to worry about anything. And its true what they say about brides glowing- joy simply just radiates from you (or maybe that was sweat? haha!) Everything feels brand new as you leave the alter and start your lives as husband and wife. Weddings are beautiful, but the journey of marriage is even more beautiful!

Want more wedding inspiration? Just click here!

2 comments:

  1. I love all of this! You were an absolutely gorgeous bride and I love your dress!

    You make fantastic points - and I just love your Olive Garden tradition haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tips! Yeah, I didn't get to eat much on my wedding day either! Though I wish I had because the food was delicious (and may I say, expensive!) I think it's crazy how dress shops reacted to you when you were shopping for your dress! Why would they even say that? Sending you on your way and telling you to find them when you're ready to try something on. If anything, I would say "you look so young", "you're such a beautiful bride" but never "you don't look old enough to be getting married". That is just rude!

    ReplyDelete