Saturday, April 26, 2014

spring cleaning tips and tutorials

What is it about Spring that makes us want to declutter and scrub every inch of our houses? Okay so let's be honest, I don't need Spring as an excuse for a clean house. I'm a bit over obsessive about it .. and clutter makes me feel overwhelmed!

But I do take the time during the Spring (and usually Summer and Fall) and do a  deep cleaning. It has taken me a few weeks, but I think (I hope) that I am pretty much done! I have been cleaning out closets, cabinets, and drawers, dusting baseboards, washing bedding, tackling windows, blinds, and as many of those forgotten places as I can remember.

I have put together a few tips and tutorials I used  to make your Spring cleaning experience a little easier! You can check out my cleaning board on Pinterest for many more tips as well!


1) Make a list.

As with any project, a to do list is the first place I start. I have found it is more manageable for me to break down my projects into sections. My to do list for Spring cleaning was really detailed so I wouldn't forget anything. There are many different free printables available all over the web. I actually looked at several different lists and compiled different ones together to meet my needs. Check out some of the ones that I used:

Long Wait for Isabella 
Living Well Spending Less
Money Saving Mom
The Unskinny Boppy

I also came across a printable from Popsugar that breaks down Spring cleaning into 30 days with 1 task each day. Sounds like a good idea for busy families!

2) Fabrics and Pillows

My washing machine has been busy. I have washed every blanket in our house, curtains, pillows, comforters, and mattress pads! I ran across a few tutorials to help me properly clean these fabrics and others in my home.

Washing pillows from One Good Thing By Jillee


Refreshing up the mattresses with baking soda from One Good Thing By Jillee


Cleaning my microfiber chairs in the dining room from Making the World Cuter


3) Behind and Underneath 

Moving furniture and appliances is no easy task, but its just once a year. Be sure to vacuum underneath couches, chairs, beds, etc. and to wipe down baseboards and the backs of furniture. The space behind your appliances is sure to be some of the dirtiest areas in your house! (Can you say dryer lint?!)

4) The neglected areas: don't forget to ...  

Clean trash cans. I simply used bleached and washed them all out.

Clean your vacuum cleaner! Change the filter or bag, or do like my hubby does--blow off the filter with an air compressor .. its just like new! 

Clean your washing machine and lint filter from the dryer. I never even knew you should clean your washing machine .. and my oh my was it dirty!

Follow this tutorial for cleaning your washing machine from Somewhat Simple. 

 
And this tutorial for the lint filter from Couponing To be Debt Free.


Give the sink drain a good cleaning as well. Use this tutorial  from Apartment Therapy.


 5) Outside your home.

Don't forget about exterior cleaning and maintenance as well .. windows, gutters, pressure washing, patio furniture, trimming bushes, weeding, replacing mulch, etc.

Follow these tips for cleaning the grill at The Unskinny Boppy.


Clean your air conditioner, step by step tips from The Family Handyman.


And, I'm not sure if this should count as exterior maintenance, but your car could probably used a good cleaning off as well! (Spring=POLLEN!) Use these tips from Creative Savings Blog.


 That's all for today. Best of luck in your Spring Cleaning adventures!




1 comment:

  1. Your post just remind me of the things I have to accomplish. Hahaha! I love the tips, particularly the one about cleaning the sink drain. It’s one of the tasks some people tend to forget, after washing dishes. Anyway, I think it is a good idea to use lemon rather than any chemical product to kill bacteria. Also, it’s safer and healthier option. Thanks for providing a complete cleaning routine, Carol! All the best to you!

    Monique Fletcher @ SafeClean Hillingdon

    ReplyDelete