Monday, July 31, 2017

DIY Window Boxes

Hello everyone!

Anyone else mourning the end of July? We love the unhurried pace of summer around here!

This Spring, Justin built us three beautiful window boxes that we filled with gorgeous flowers from Whitaker Farms. If you are local, you must check them out! This has added a lot of curb appeal to the front of our house and is helping us to continue to create the farmhouse/craftsman style we love!

The boxes were a simple, easy project that you can find some plans for here or here.We used Rustoleum's Dark Walnut stain, which is obviously our favorite since we use it on everything! Justin also lined the boxes with some left over weed barrier.


The real magic, though, happened when we filled them with plants. To be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing when I was selecting flowers. I knew I wanted some that would overhang the boxes and trail down, so after some research, I determined that I needed to look for petunias and then place something taller behind them. I also talked with someone who worked at the nursery and she suggested some cheaper filler flowers to go along with the petunias. Most of the websites I read said that more flowers were better, but you also have to keep in the mind that whatever you select will grow and expand as well, as you can see in the following pictures.

The day we planted everything at the end of April




End of May:





End of June



And as an added bonus, here are a few more pictures of our porch and flowers:



I have to confess that even though our flowers were watered a few times while we were on vacation we suffered a few causalities! A few items need to be replaced and hopefully the others can be nursed back to health. All of the rain we had during June was great for the flowers (and weeds- yuck!) but unfortunately July has been very hot and dry. 

What are your favorite flowers to plant that are easy to maintain?

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment