Thursday, November 27, 2014

the art of thanksliving

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

2014 has certainly brought many moments and people to give thanks for! If you have been following my blog then you might remember that my One Word Resolution for 2013 was grateful and as extension and continuation my word for 2014 is content. I have been intentionally working to become more grateful in my life and give thanks for all circumstances for some time now!


 Last Sunday during his children's message, Justin told the children that he thought maybe God was sad on Thanksgiving because he wants us to give thanks everyday. Instead of just celebrating Thanksgiving one time a year, God wants to live a life of Thanksliving.

I think a light bulb might have gone off over my head-- you know how it is when someone says something you know you will remember. Thanksliving was a phrase I could really connect to. Thanksliving is much more than just thoughts or prayers--it is a call to action, it is a call to serve.

"The art of thanksgiving is thanksliving. It is gratitude in action. It is applying Albert Schweitzer's philosophy: 'In gratitude for your own good fortune you must render in return some sacrifice of your life for the other life." 
(Read the full essay of Peterson's "The Art of Thanksliving" by clicking above)

Thanksliving is also a call to give thanks in all circumstances, not just the enjoyable ones. It is so easy for thoughts of thankfulness to be swallowed with despair and worry. What a witness to God's grace and provision if you CHOOSE to live a full of thankfulness and peace even in the midst of adversity!

So I have gathered some ideas on ways to be intentional about becoming and showing more thanksgiving in our lives. However, it doesn't end here. In order to live a life full of Thanksliving, we have to heed to that call of action, service, and sacrifice. (Perhaps the season of Advent is the perfect time to share some of that Thanksliving spirit?!)

1) Thankful Jar
 I love this idea! Find a jar and some scraps of paper and write down what you are thankful for! This could become a family event each night at dinner or before bed.


2) Chalkboard or Dry Erase Boards
There are so many ways you could accomplish this- all you need is something to write with!



3) Journaling
This is the method that I personally use right now. I have a journal that write down my "praises" and my "prayers" in. I don't necessarily write every day but a few times  a week for sure. I love being able to look back and see how God has answered a prayer! (And if you attend TUMC then you know that Pastor Kyles practices this as well and has encouraged us all to join him!)


4) Thankful Tree
This would be a fun idea for a Thanksgiving centerpiece with an important purpose!


Ah, how much richer and fuller would life be if we would only choose to live in a continuous state of Thanksliving!

No comments:

Post a Comment